I found this recipe in an old book. It was a favorite soup at my house when my girls were teenagers (about 15 years ago). It is an oldie but goodie.
Make adjustments to fit your eating plan. Substitute gluten-free pasta – you can find fresh GF tortellini and ravioli in the dairy section. Or leave out the tortellini and it is a wonderful chicken broccoli soup.
I cooked a whole chicken in the Instant Pot to use in this soup. Other times I have purchased a rotisserie chicken. Both work wonderfully.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (see below)
- 2 cups cubed chicken, cooked
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 9 oz frozen broccoli pieces
- 7 oz package cheese tortellini
- Bring the chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, cubed chicken, onion, carrots, garlic, basil and oregano to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer till almost tender.
- Add tortellini and simmer according to direction on the package.
- Opt. Service with Parmesan cheese